Plaistow Historical Society Photo Exhibit

Soldiers' Monument Restoration  


Home Featured Exhibit Membership Merchandise Past Exhibits Contact Us Links Wish List

Click on a small image below to display the larger image at right.

The Soldiers' Monument was given to the town by Arthur G. Pollard, in memory of the 101 Plaistow men who served in the Civil War. The monument has a 14-foot high granite base with an 8-foot bronze soldier and is located on the spot which was once the center of the old dirt road which crossed the common. It was dedicated with appropriate exercises, held under the auspices of the Village Improvement Society on September 12, 1908. Planning is underway for a 100th anniversary celebration in 2008.
A. G. Pollard's Design

Bronze Soldier - A. G. Pollard, the monument benefactor, toured Southern battlefields to design the soldier figure himself. He selected the head from one statue, the body and posture from another, and from a third he chose the manner of the soldier's statue. Pollard discarded the usual parade-rest position in favor of one hand on his cartridge box with the opposite arm holding his gun.
Haverhill Gazette 9/12/1908



Copyright © 2006-2010 Plaistow Historical Society, Inc. All rights reserved.
Internet portal courtesy Plaistow Public Library.