Plaistow Historical Society Photo Exhibit

Soldiers' Monument Restoration  


Home Featured Exhibit Membership Merchandise Past Exhibits Contact Us Links Wish List

Click on a small image below to display the larger image at right.

The Soldiers' Monument was given to the town by Arthur G. Pollard, in memory of the 101 Plaistow men who served in the Civil War. The monument has a 14-foot high granite base with an 8-foot bronze soldier and is located on the spot which was once the center of the old dirt road which crossed the common. It was dedicated with appropriate exercises, held under the auspices of the Village Improvement Society on September 12, 1908. Planning is underway for a 100th anniversary celebration in 2008.
Cleaning the Bronze Soldier

Preservation expert Rika Smith McNally cleaning the bronze soldier. Her workers have completed wrapping the granite pedestal with waterproof material to prevent staining the granite with cleaning and preservation materials.



Copyright © 2006-2010 Plaistow Historical Society, Inc. All rights reserved.
Internet portal courtesy Plaistow Public Library.